Tuesday 11 December 2012

Yet Another Variant - Squale 20 ATMOS Maxi



Squale, through their distributor, Gnomon, launched yet another variant of the 1545 - the Maxi. As most of you have observed by now, I'm in my vintage inspired phase at the moment. At this rate, my bank account will be parched very soon. Anders, my dear boy, I am not exactly very pleased with you! My little daughter will have no Christmas prezzies this year thanks to you!

As I've already reviewed two other variants from this range in my earlier postings, I'll let the photos do the talking.

Right, on with the watch...




Why the name Maxi? Check out the indices/ markers on the dial. They are not gilt, nor are they bordered with silver. They are bordered with what looks like the original white, under the applied superluminova. This makes the indices appear larger, thus Maxi.


Not sure if you've noticed yet but the dial is not black like the classic or vintage. It's kinda like a charcoal/ grey colour. The dial appears to be matt but not dull though as it complements the indices rather well.


Placed alongside the polished black dial Classic, the colour of the Maxi's dial is more obvious.

The second hand sweeps smoothly across the dial unlike some other watches running on the same ETA 2824-2 movement.


The lume is decent enough for me. Duration is moderate. What I like is the grain lume which I reckon, adds to that vintage feel.


Once again, no visible threads on the stem housing and the same ribbed crown and crown guards.


And once again, 10/10 for that perfect cyclops date window.


Once again, a mix of polished and brushed surfaces on the case. Nicely proportioned signed crown.


High gloss surfaces enhances the sexy curves and neat lines.


The case back is identical to those offered in the second batch of 1545's - burnished centre and the same literature surrounding the circumference. Oh, and the serial number, too.


Screw-in pins, as with all current releases. Same polished diver's extentions.

Enough said. Think I'll let the pics do the talking.

Actually, I reckon a little bit of red on the dial might give this piece a little lift as well.

















Pros:
- The ever reliable ETA 2824-2.
- Larger looking indices.
- Nice diver's extension.
- Tight clasp.
- Bang for the buck.
- Good construction and finish.
- Screw-in links.

Cons:
- Tight clasp that's nail breaking to remove (literally!).
- Too much loctite applied to screws on the links.




No comments:

Post a Comment