Saturday 15 June 2013

The One That Started It All - Ennebi Fondale Sunburst Silver (Ref: 9660-100)


Yes. This is the piece that started it all. The very culprit that is responsible for my Ennebi addiction. Despite my frequent visits to Gnomon, I've never actually seen one at the shop. The Ennebi display case is perpetually devoid of watches except for the Titanic Black, a massive 65mm table clock disguised as Goliath's wrist watch. It's no surprise, actually as the wait list for the watch stretches form 6  months to even a year.

Anders was determined that I should find out what the fuss was all about, so, when he received a piece a couple of months ago, he saved it for me to take a look before putting it on display. Well, to put the rest in a nutshell - I went, I saw and I caved.


This Ennebi comes in a grey grade 5 titanium case. The colour is lighter then the GFB in the preceding review. Like the GFB, this case measures 47mm in diameter, it's also capped with an acrylic top as well. Under the hood, is the ETA 2824-2. However, due to the lighter shade of grey on this Ennebi, the watch does not look as industrial. It actually looks kinda cool. Although depth-rated to 1000m, it does not have any HEV fitted on the case.



What drew me to this watch is the silver sunburst dial. It's got the loveliest sunburst I've seen in a while. Also, I reckon I have far too many black dial watches. A silver dial would make a nice addition to my drawerful of black faces. The dial is complimented with light green hour markers ( a mix of Arabic numerals and stick indices), a slim arrow second hand an thin luminous orange hour and minute hands. The smooth-edged, bi-directional bezel is easy to operate. Three humps on the bezel replaces the traditional serrated rim on most bezels. A purple precious stone sits on the pip of the bezel. i'm guessing it's amethyst.







The chunky case is meticulously finished. Precision engineering at its best. The lines are clean and crisp. The angels are taut and neat. The lugs are stout and curved. the crown is large but thin. It's flanked by a pair of broad shoulders. The straps ae held in place by screwed-in bars.


The case back features the standard minimalistic Ennebi-style literature.


As with other Ennebies, this unit comes with two pairs of Mario Paci calf leather straps as standard. Each pair of strap is fitted with the signature Ennebi titanium roller buckle. The leather supplied really accentuate it's rugged macho stature.



Despite it's huge, chunky case, this watch sits very comfortably on my tiny, flat wrist. The curved lugs cuts back any unsightly overhang and makes it look just right on the wrist.


This piece has the nicest lume among the three Ennebies I have in my stash. The orange lume adds a unique touch to the neon-bright markers.


There is very little I do not like about my first Ennebi. My only regret is not having found out about the brand earlier. The quality of the finish really speaks volumes. If you're waiting for yours, I assure you, it's worth the wait.


Specifications:
Case diameter : 47mm.
Case material : Grade 5 titanium.
Crystal : Acrylic.
Lug size : 24mm.
Movement : ETA 2824-2.
Power reserve : +/- 40 hours.

Pros:
- Lume orange hands.
- Sunburst dial design.
- High quality finishing.

Cons:
- Long wait for watch.
- High price tag.


1 comment: